Sunday, January 1, 2012

Take it from Mr. T

The blogs are all a-twitter with new year's resolutions today and I love reading what everyone else resolves to do (and not do) in the new year. However, I decided many years ago to never voice any resolutions in public. It just makes things easier when one of my local readers sees me scarfing down doughnuts in my car mid-January in the Krispy Kreme parking lot.

If I resolve to do anything, it will be to admit that I am a flawed person. I procrastinate and screw up and this time next year, I'll have fouled up lots of things and missed opportunities. But what I will have not done is beat myself up over them. Believe me, I have. But not lately. Sometimes, I think it's enough just to know that we are doing the best that we can.

This isn't the easiest world to survive in. And as long as we're not hurting anyone and are trying as much as we can to make the world a better place for others - even if just in little ways, then we've done well. Sure, we'll screw up sometimes but everyone screws up sometimes. In the same way that we don't fault others for doing so, we can't fault ourselves.


Resolutions are cool and all but I'd rather go by Mr. T's mantra:



Happy New Year, buckaroos!

Until next time (I pity da fool!)
x's and o's,
Eartha

6 comments:

sarajean said...

That's great and a lovely sentiment, too! Just don't forget to drink drugs and don't do milk... or was it the other way around...?

Barbara said...

Do you remember the license plate frames that said "Damn, I'm Good!" I had one made that said "Damn, I'm so-so!" Accept your so-so.

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

haha, i love it! and i have been known to sit in my car scarfing at doughnut at the krispy kreme on thompson lane. i'll see you there.

Donna Wilhelm said...

Great post!

Off the subject -- Does anyone else find the picture oh-so-slightly disturbing?

Sara In AZ said...

Happy New Year!!!! And I SO-SO agree! :)

DearHelenHartman said...

I'm so so so very sorry I saw that. Happy new year.